Dr Amjad is currently a full-time Senior Lecturer within the School of Creative Arts and Engineering. Previously, he was a part-time lecturer from 2012 to 2017. He has taught a wide portfolio of courses in electronics, signal processing and telecommunications to on-campus and Armed Forces distance learning students. He has successfully integrated digital tools in his teaching to enhance student learning experience. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
Dr Amjad’s research has been published in high quality IET and IEEE journals as well as presented at international conferences. He has served in the local organising committee of the 50th International Universities Power Engineering Conference (UPEC 2015) conference which was attended by over 250 delegates. Dr Amjad has been a part of the panel for discussion on “What to do with a PhD” at the 2018 Postgraduate Research Conference held at Staffordshire University. He reviews regularly for various high quality IET and IEEE journals.
Professional memberships and activities
- Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (MIEEE)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of the International Association of Engineers (IAENG)
- PhD in Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering (Staffordshire University)
- PGCert in Research Methods (Staffordshire University)
- BEng(Hons) with first-class in Electronic Engineering (Staffordshire University)
- Teaching in areas of electronics and telecommunication engineering
- Wireless sensor networks: design, implementation and optimisation
- Digital signal and image processing
- Mathematical modelling and simulation of engineering systems
- Implementation of flipped learning
- Use of student response systems to enhance student learning experience
Dr Amjad’s current research interests include resource optimisation for wireless visual sensor networks, digital signal/image processing, cloud computing, Internet of things (IoT), machine-to-machine communication, and quality assessment for future generation of wireless networks. He reviews articles for the following journals:
- IEEE Transactions on Image Processing
- IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology
- IEEE Sensors Journal and IEEE Sensors Letters
- IEEE Access
- IET Image Processing
- IET Signal Processing
- S. J. Rind, A. Amjad and M. Jamil, “Rotor Flux MRAS based Speed Sensorless Indirect Field Oriented Control of Induction Motor Drive for Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” in Proceedings of 2018 IEEE 53rd International Universities Power Engineering Conference (UPEC2018), pp. 1-6, Glasgow, 2018. (In press)
- S. J. Rind, A. Amjad and M. Jamil, “Electric Motors and Speed Sensorless Control for Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles: A Review,” in Proceedings of 2018 IEEE 53rd International Universities Power Engineering Conference (UPEC2018), pp. 1-6, Glasgow, 2018. (In press)
- A. Amjad, M. Patwary and A. Griffiths, “Energy Efficient Self-Reconfiguration Scheme for Visual Information based M2M Communication,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 85th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), Sydney, 2017.
- A. Amjad, M. Sharma, R. Abozariba, M. Asaduzzaman, M. Patwary and E. Benkhelifa, “Autonomous Workload Balancing in Cloud Federation Environments with Different Access Restrictions,” in Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE 14th International Conference on Mobile Ad Hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS), pp. 1-6, Orlando, 2017.
- A. Amjad, F. Rabby, S. Sadia, M. Patwary and E. Benkhelifa, “Cognitive Edge Computing based resource allocation framework for Internet of Things,” in Proceedings of IEEE Second International Conference on Fog and Mobile Edge Computing (FMEC), pp. 194-200, Valencia, 2017.
- A. Amjad, A. Griffiths and M. Patwary, “QoI-Aware Unified Framework for Node Classification and Self-Reconfiguration Within Heterogeneous Visual Sensor Networks,” in IEEE Access, vol. 4, pp. 9027-9042, 2016.
- A. Amjad, M. Patwary, A. Griffiths and A. H. Soliman, “Characterization of Field-of-View for Energy Efficient Application-Aware Visual Sensor Networks,” in IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 3109-3122, May 2016.
- A. Amjad, A. Griffiths and M. N. Patwary, “Multiple Face Detection Algorithm Using Colour Skin Modelling,” in IET Image Processing, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 1093-1101, November 2012.
Dr Amjad is involved in the delivery and assessment of the following modules: and design CE20010-4
- ELEC71010 Advanced Digital Signal Processing (Post-grad, Module Leader)
- ELEC60220 Digital Communication: Processing and Applications (Under-grad)
- ELEC60322 Digital Design and Embedded Software II (Under-grad, Module Leader)
- ELEC50224 Signals, Systems and Communications (Under-grad, Module Leader)
- ELEC41010 Professional Development and Engineering Applications (Under-grad)
- MECH30686 Engineering and Technology Applications (Foundation year)
- ELEC60235 Digital Systems (Armed Forces Distance Learning, Under-grad, Module Leader)
- ELEC50306 Signal Processing (Armed Forces Distance Learning, Under-grad)