I joined the Derbyshire Constabulary in 1984 as a police cadet stationed in the Derby City Centre. In 1989 I was appointed detective constable. During my time in the police I spent time as the Head of the Roads Policing Unit for the southern half of Derbyshire and at the end of my career in the police I was the Detective Inspector in the Derby City centre. My areas of expertise were in homicide investigation, suspicious deaths, training detectives and Criminal Justice. In 2006 I successfully completed a Senior Investigative Officers course which enabled me to lead and manage homicide investigation.
In 2011 I completed a BSc (Hons) in Social Science at the Open University, I started working in the Law School in October 2012 teaching Environmental Criminology and from February 2013 teach full time on Criminal Law and Criminal Justice. In 2015 I achieved the position of senior lecturer.
In 2015 I completed a MA in Education (Distinction) and became a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. In 2016 I completed the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education’s (LFHE) Diversifying Academic Leadership programme. In 2017 I received a Teaching Excellence Fellowship promoting the use of academic English to enhance employability. In 2018 I started course leadership of the BA(Hons) Criminal Justice and Offender Management. This award is aimed at developing people who seek employment in the criminal justice sector
Professional memberships and activities
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Society of Legal Scholars
- Member of the Socio-Legal Studies Association
- Member of the Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain (PESGB)
- Teaching Excellence Fellowship (tef) Staffordshire University 2017
- MA Education (Distinction) –Staffordshire University - 2015
- Post Graduate Certificate in Higher and Professional Education – Staffordshire University – 2013
- BSc (Hons) Social Sciences with Geography. Open University - 2011
- Criminal Justice
- Criminal Law
- Legal Education
The Criminal Justice System, Miscarriages of Justice, Legal Theory and the Language of Law.
LLB Law Foundation level – Criminal Law, language of Law
LLB Law – Criminal Law, Criminal Justice,
BA(Hons) Criminal Justice with Offender Management – Course Leader
Martin, L. and Tapp, D. (2016)