Professor Tennakoon was born in Maho Sri Lanka. He obtained his BSC(Eng) Hons, MSC and PhD Degrees from, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, University of Aston Birmingham, and University of Central Lancashire respectively. After obtaining his PhD, Professor Tennakoon joined GEC T & D Projects Limited (now part of Alstom Grid), Stafford as a Senior Design Engineer contributing to the development of a new generation of HVDC and SVC Thyristor valves. In 1987 he joined Staffordshire University where he currently holds the Chair in Power Electronic systems.
Professional memberships and activities
- Chairman of the IEEE Power Electronics Society, UKRI Chapter.
- Member of the International Steering Committee, European Power Electronics and Applications Association.
BSc (Eng) Hons, Electrical Engineering, MSc, PhD, MIET, MIEEE, CEng
Electrical Engineering, Power Electronics, Power converters for power generation, transmission and distribution, Wind energy, Circuit breakers, Power system harmonics, Energy saving motor controllers. Simulation, High voltage DC Transmission, Static Var Compensation, STATCOM, multilevel converters, Grid integration of windfarms.
- DC Grids and HVDC
- Power System protection,
- Power converters, energy saving motor control, grid connection of wind energy systems,
- Harmonics including harmonic measurement using data acquisition and analysis systems
Main Research Projects
- Smart Grids
- Energy Diverting Converters for HVDC DC line Potection of a Multilevel Terminal HVDC
Enterprise and commercial interests
- Consultancy to Industry
- Training Courses for Industry
- Leading the Centre for Energy EfficientSystems