Our BA (Hons) 3D Designer Maker programme will give you the chance to design and make your ideas through a broad range of materials with an exciting emphasis on experimentation in making innovative objects through industrial processes with high levels of craftsmanship, giving you the chance to become a more informed contemporary maker.
If you have a passion for designing and making contemporary interior products, such as furniture and lighting, ceramics and jewellery, this is the course for you.
The strength of this distinctive course is reflected in the achievements of our former students including:
- Valentine Clays Award for Excellence 1st 2nd & 3rd Prize second consecutive year running 2019/18
- 5 Keith Brymer Jones Award’s for ‘Promising Young Designer’ 2019
- Best Stand Award - New Designers 2018
- Denby Highly Commended Award – New Designers 2018
- Potclays Awards for Outstanding Excellence 2019/18
- Duchess China Award
- BCB Show Highlite – One to Watch
- Winner of the Caroline Gardner placement at the National Student Stationery Design Competition
- Multiple winners of the Franz Rising Star Project scholarships 2019/18
Learn the essential skills needed to survive in the ‘real world’ to prepare you for a career as an independent designer maker or a designer in industry.
You’ll get to experience a breadth of materials and highly crafted skills through our 3D wood, metal and ceramics workshops, before specialising in interior products, jewellery, ceramics or digital craft.
You could also use your skills to set up your own businesses as a designer maker. Many of our self-employed graduates have been featured in nationally recognised magazines such as Crafts, Elle Decoration and Craftsman Magazine. Others have gained employment with The Crafts Council, Marks and Spencer Homeware, Sainsbury’s Home and Wedgwood.
This course enables you to explore ideas through a range of taught craft practice and design processes. There's a strong emphasis on experimentation with materials and contemporary approaches to making innovative objects. There is also an opportunity to gain a substantial work placement with companies such as Wedgwood and Royal Doulton not just in the area of ceramics.
Our Award Winning creative team of professional makers and technicians will support you throughout. You'll gain practical knowledge and a repertoire of skills, developing your understanding of the designers’ essential toolkit as well as contemporary techniques and processes which reflect current trends and practices in an ever-changing world of the designer maker. Workshops cover:
- Plastics and Resin
- Fine Metal, Heavy Metal & Precision Metal
- Digital Imaging Skills (to work software packages such as Rhino, Photoshop, Illustrator
You will have access to industry-leading ceramics workshops as well as our £1.3 million Smart Zone.
Our 3D Designer Maker degree allows you to specialise in: Ceramics, Interior Products, Contemporary Jewellery and Fashion Accessories or Digital Craft.