Atoms/Iconography/360-white@2xion-briefcase - Ionicons Copy@2xAtoms/Iconography/calendar-dark@2xAtoms/Iconography/calendar-pinkAtoms/Iconography/calendar-pinkAtoms/Iconography/calendar-dark Copy@2x3B13F687-6EB2-452A-B918-16B02FF86090@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2x81A2B1C2-3C1E-48C0-8EAB-2BB76C1052E1@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome Copy@2x18D48E51-758C-47E9-949E-1E58FC9454A3@2xAtoms/Iconography/close-red@2xAtoms/Iconography/close-white@2xion-android-cloud-circle - Ionicons@2xAtoms/Brand/connected-uni-logo-white@2xAtoms/Iconography-download-icon-white@2xdropdown-chevron-black@2xAtoms/Iconography/dropdown-form-chevron-white@2xAtoms/Iconography/email-icon-light@1xF93E1E4C-136C-41CA-8FC9-02353765C1C0@2xA14CB21F-CD96-450C-BBD7-6647B25B0D0D@1xatoms/Iconography/facebook-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/facebook-iconAtoms/Iconography/google-plus-icon@2xion-ios-information-outline - IoniconsAtoms/Iconography/instagram-iconGroup@2xAtoms/Iconography/linkedin-icon@2xion-android-menu - Ionicons@2x934F565B-4D4A-4BBE-B4EA-29E0D367BC7F@2xAtoms/Iconography/minus-icon@2xAEC8A5E2-9638-45F8-9E94-3C320D2410A9@2xAtoms/Iconography/nav-icon-white Copy@2xAtoms/Iconography/pause-icon-white@2xion-android-person - Ionicons@2xAtoms/Iconography/phone-icon-white@2x5131105A-B2E1-443D-A44D-E6DCCBBF53DD@2xAtoms/iconography/pintrest-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/play-button-white@2xAtoms/Iconography-play-button-white-2@2xAtoms/Iconography/plus-icon-black@2xAtoms/Iconography/print-icon-light@2x34CD08DE-22EB-4484-B0B4-48190645DEBC@2xsearch - FontAwesome@2xAtoms/Iconography/search-white@2xAtoms/Iconography/snapchat-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/tick-green@2xAtoms/Iconography/twitter-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/twitter-iconAtoms/Iconography/youtube-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/youtube-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/icon-tiktok-iconAtoms/Iconography/icon-tiktok-colour Skip to content Skip to search

Help submitting financial evidence documents

In Visa and immigration advice

In Visa and immigration advice

If you are applying for a visa on the Student Route you need to evidence to the UKVI that you have enough money to pay for your course fees and your living costs, known as the maintenance or financial requirement. Even if you are not required to submit this as part of your visa application it is important to make sure you have met the requirements (you can find out more about this at Appendix ST Paragraph 22.1 of the Immigration Rules). 

University Visa Finance Check 

Before the University will issue your Confirmation of Acceptance to Study (CAS) you may be required to submit financial documents to show that you meet the financial requirement. This check normally happens once you have received your unconditional offer and paid your deposit to secure your place. The University will send details advising whether you need to complete this and if so how to submit your financial documents. 

What Funds Are Required? 

It is important to know what funds are needed in place to successfully complete a Visa Finance Check. 

To help understand what funds are needed we have provided a breakdown below:

Your tuition fee for the year minus any fees you have already paid to the University and any scholarships you have been awarded, PLUS the UKVI Maintenance Amount (£9,207 outside of London or £12,006 if you will be based at Staffordshire University London Campus), PLUS 10% (this is to safeguard against currency fluctuations). The amount calculated are the minimum funds required. 

For example: 

If your tuition fees are £16,750 and you have paid a deposit of £6,500 plus have a scholarship of £3,000, your outstanding tuition fees would be £7,250. If you are studying outside of London, the UKVI maintenance requirement is £9,207, and when added to your outstanding tuition fees this equals £16,457. You would then need to include an extra 10% for currency fluctuations, meaning the funds you would be required to show are £18,102.70. 

Below is the calculation: 

£16750  - £6500  - £3000 = £7250

£7250 + £9207 = £16457

£16457 + 10% = £18102.70

Please use OANDA to check any currency conversion requirements, as this is what the UKVI will use for their checks. 


If you are studying a Postgraduate Research course and planning to bring dependants, an additional £680 (£845 if you will be based at Staffordshire University London Campus) per dependant per month up to a maximum of 9 months will also need to be included in the above calculations. 

The 28 Day Requirement

The funds required must have been held consecutively for a minimum of 28 days. If the funds fall below the minimum required amount you will fail the Visa Finance Check and the University will not issue a CAS to study. This is because the Home Office would refuse your Student Visa application for failing to meet the financial requirements.  

The 28 days are counted back from your closing balance, and the document you submit with your Student Visa application should be no older than 31 days at the point of application. 

It is really important to plan ahead for a Visa Finance Check and take into consideration the required 28 days to ensure you are prepared to avoid any delays or disappointments.  

Important Information About Visa Finance Check Evidence 

For your Visa Finance Check, the University requires that you provide:

  • Bank statements that show 3 months of transactions to confirm that the funds in place are genuinely available for use for your studies.  
  • Supporting documents to evidence the origin of any large deposits. This could include documents such as official sales deeds or the bank account statement of the person who gave you the funds. 
  • If you are using a parent's bank account, a joint account you are named on, a joint account with both parents named, or a partner's account (can only be used if they are applying at the same time as you or already have permission) you must provide a consent letter from the named people confirming they give permission for the funds to be used for your studies. You should also provide evidence of your relationship to the consent givers where applicable (e.g. birth certificate, marriage certificate). 
  • If your original documents are not in English, please also provide officially translated documents that confirm the translation is an accurate translation of the original document, the date the translation was done, and has the translators full name or official company name, their signature, and their contact details.

Please note that the UKVI currently do not accept online or virtual bank accounts. 

Useful Resources

For more useful information about Visa Finance Checks following resources provide helpful information:


Parental Consent Letter Example Template


 Your Contact  

insert your parent(s)/legal guardian’s name 

& home address  

and telephone / email address here   



Date insert current date 


UK Visas and Immigration 


To Whom It May Concern,   


Dear Sir/Madam, I, [insert full name of parent or legal guardian] confirm that I am the parent/legal guardian [delete as appropriate] of [insert your (student’s) name here].   

I consent to [insert student’s name here] using my funds for the purpose of their studies at Staffordshire University in the United Kingdom.   


Yours faithfully,   


[signature of parent or legal guardian]   


[Print full name of parent or legal guardian here]